Minutes of the
City Hall: Price,
March 12, 2008 at 5:33 p.m.
Councilmembers: Aleck Shilaos, Police Chief
Jeff Nielson Nick Tatton, Community Director
Kathy Hanna Smith Laurie Tryon, City Recorder
Excused Absence: John Daniels, Human Resource Director and Bret Cammans, Customer Service Director
Present: Savanah Winn, Reese
Mayor Piccolo led the Pledge of Allegiance. Roll was called with the above Councilmembers and staff in attendance.
1. PUBLIC COMMENT- Reese Barrick, Prehistoric Museum Director updated the Mayor and
City Councilmembers on the museum expansion project known as the
2. Savannah Winn from the ASCEU group presented her monthly list of activities to be held at CEU.
On the March 27th Event students and restaurants will be bringing food for anyone that would like to attend. On April 2nd, elections will take place for the next CEU presidency. On April 11th, the Super Activity will take place and then a breakaway trip to the Navajo reservation is scheduled where students will work with Active Reentry repairing barns and houses and building wheelchair ramps for the elderly and the blind. Councilmember Hanna-Smith likes being a part of the group and is very impressed with the young people. She wanted to announce the open house scheduled for April 18th from 12-8p.m. These activities are important to CEU and the community and Councilmember Hanna-Smith hopes that everyone will try to attend as many of the activities as possible.
3. COUNCILMEMBERS REPORT- The Mayor and Councilmembers presented an update on the activities and functions in which they have participated.
4. PROPERTY ISSUE- Johnny Mahleres- 426 E. 200 N.
Mahleres, a Price City resident came to the City
Council meeting requesting financial assistance
with a sewer line replacement job at 426 E. 200 N. Mr. Mahleres had to
run an emergency sewer line for his daughter’s home. The job quickly turned
into a disaster for him as the road, sidewalk, gutter and two driveways slid and
created a massive hole in the street. His costs to repair the damages are
approximately $21,000 and Mr. Mahleres is requesting
some financial assistance through the concrete replacement program with
Sonntag stated that the assistance with the labor fees on the City’s behalf is based
on a unique situation that occurred while digging. It was an unforeseen mistake
of catastrophic proportions that threatened the City’s infrastructure and was
an uncontrollable situation. Mr. Mahleres should be
responsible for the new sewer line and any homeowner issues that came from the
digging on 200 North. The opening on 400 East was beyond Mr. Mahleres’ control and he did what he could do to prevent a
further problem to protect the City water line. Mr. Sonntag will notify Mr. Mahleres with the actual costs of the asphalt and concrete when
he has the figures. The City will be responsible for the road after Mr. Mahleres has paid for the materials. MOTION. Councilmember Hanna-Smith moved to amend the previous
action approved in Councilmember Tatton’s motion to
waive the labor costs associated with the repairs on 400 East. Mr. Mahleres will be responsible for all of the costs on 200
North including materials and labor. If the cost of materials needed for
repairs on 400 E. exceeds the estimated amount then staff should review the
case and return to Council for an evaluation to verify the additional costs and
Mr. Mahleres would be responsible for payment of the
increased costs. Upon submittal of $3,093.94 to
Bids were received from the following companies:
Schedule A Schedule B Schedule C
American Roofing Company $ 118,661.00 285,284.00 24,825.00
Redd Roofing Company $ 139,299.00 282,168.00 22,370.00
Collins Roofing $ 139,326.00 234,292.00 13,838.00
Kendrick Bros. Roofing $ 157,500.00 282,300.00 18,500.00
City Hall roofing project has a budget of $115,000. MOTION. Councilmember Tatton moved to have a committee formed
PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION
applications for Conditional Use Permits:
6. CONDITIONAL USE PERMITS
a. Sign Edge- 37 N. 100 W.- Dave Gerrard, Owner- Business and Sign-Final with contingencies:
· No on street parking permitted by employees or owners.
final property signage plan to
· No land uses inconsistent with the ongoing operation of a professional signage design and advertising business permitted at the subject property finding that only properly reviewed and approved land uses are consistent with the Price City General Plan.
Procurement of a
· Submission of current state daycare licensing and any Health Department food safety certifications
· Fenced and controlled outdoor play area(s)
· Inspection of the location by the Price City Building Inspector and Price City Fire Chief
· Identified drop-off and pick-up parking and/or staging
· Submission of any business signage to the Price City Planning Department
· Acknowledgement by applicant that properly permitted land uses within the MD zoning district surrounding the location of the daycare business that may have a potential negative impact on a daycare business, known to exist by businesses typically locating in an MD zoning district, finding that MD zoning districts are established to be locations where heavy industrial processes necessary to the economy may be conducted and validly permitted by Price City in the future and that potentially permitted businesses in the MD zoning district may have light, noise, traffic, or other impacts that are not conducive to an adjacent daycare business.
· Return to Planning and Zoning for a change in zone from MD to CD
MOTION. Councilmember Hanna-Smith moved to grant final approval on items a and b as recommended
by the Planning and Zoning Commission. Motion seconded by Councilmember Tatton and carried.
CONSENT AGENDA - Councilmember Davis moved to approve items #8 through 18 on the agenda.
Motion seconded by Councilmember McEvoy and carried.
February 27, 2008 City Council
LICENSE- Authorization to Approve a Business License for M2M Marketing, LLC.
9. MEMORIAL DAY- Authorization to Approve the Annual Notice to the Newspaper and on the Backside of the Utility Bills for the Memorial Day Decoration Cleanup Beginning on June 3, 2008 for the Price City and Cliffview Cemeteries
Authorization to Approve and Acknowledge Arbor Day as April 25, 2008 and
Authorize the Mayor to Sign the Proclamation on Behalf of
11. STATE LIBRARY DEVELOPMENTGRANT- Authorization to Approve and Sign the State Library Development Grant Also Known As the Community Library Enhancement Fund (CLEF)
13. UAMPS PROJECT PARTICIPATION- Authorization to Participate in the Study for the Multiple Site Internal Generation Project.
SERVICES- Authorization for Additional Contracted Services in Completion of the
15. EASY PROGRAM- Approval of an Application for Funds from the EASY Program and Disbursement of Funds in the Amount of $2,000.
16. MOVIE CONTRACT- Authorization to Contract for Outdoor Movies for International Days 2008
17. TRAVEL REQUEST-
Shilaos and Debbie Worley-
19. COMMUNITY PROGRESS- Update by Councilmember Hanna-Smith
· Purchase and placement of 2 sided flags and banners around town
20. POWER BOARD- Update by Councilmember Davis
· Reminder: March 26, 2008 Meeting- Before Council meeting with Siemens Company at 5 p.m. and at 3 p.m in the conference room.
21. INTERNATIONAL DAYS- Update by Councilmember Davis
· Purchase the movie screen and rent it out to cover future International Days costs
22. WATER RESOURCES- Mayor Piccolo
November 2011 timeline-
23. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
a. Committee Review for Street Banners
b. Curb, Gutter and Sidewalk Improvements on 2nd South
c. Basso Dino-Mine Playground
d. Economic Activity Building-Office Space
Meeting adjourned at 7:37 p.m. by Mayor Piccolo pursuant to the motion by Councilmember Davis .