1. BUDGET SESSION - FY1999/2000
Mayor Colosimo called the meeting to order. Pat Larsen presented new budget sheets which reflect the changes made per directions from the last meeting. The budget is now out of balance by $24,200. Pat reviewed the items cut from the capital improvement list and felt there were some items that need to go back in. After review by the Council, the following items were placed back in the budget:
- Police car and related equipment
- 3/4 Ton pick up with dump bed
- Hand held Radix machines (Y2K compatible)
- Generator to run City Hall and the Police Dept.
- $1,500 to remodel the IS Dept.
- Hand held radios
- Radios, radar, weapons
- Battery and alternator tester
- Master plan for parks
- Gravel for vacant lot at 500 North 300 East
- Generator for Cemetery Dept.
- Power pole pruner
- Heater for Cemetery Dept.
- $1,000 for Shade Tree Commission
- Furniture for Library
- Wave pool enclosure
- Swimming Pool roof repair
- Old computer replacement for $2,400
- Laser printer for Police Dept.
- Pinewood Circle upgrade for $20,000
- Cemetery paving
After including the above items, the budget is now out of balance by $200,500. Pat increased the sales tax by $30,000 and the highway tax by $20,000, which are both conservative figures.
Pat presented new copies for the personnel budget. She has taken out all increases that were not job reclassification related. The personnel budget is over by $150,000. Councilmember Nikas commented about the overtime during the past year. He appreciates what some supervisors have done to reduce overtime. Keith discussed a program through SOS for temporary seasonal employees. The City would choose the individual, SOS would hire them and pay them what the City would pay them. SOS would then charge the City 25%. This would save on unemployment costs, workers compensation, FICA, and the cost of Accounting to process the checks. All vacant positions were cut from the budget.
Keith presented a new concept for salary increases. Instead of giving a cost of living increase and a merit increase both on July 1st, the cost of living increase would be effective July 1st, but the merit increase would be tied in with the employee's anniversary date if they received a good evaluation. He also explained how longevity fits within the new salary range.
Meeting adjourned at 8:47 p.m.